President Obama has taken on Parenting big time. So much so that a special session on Meet the Press has been created on challenges and leadership in the African American Community, and the first session was on Parenting.
Muriella’s Corner has characterized President Obama’s suggestions during a discussion in February in the presidential campaign when he discussed Parenting.
Here they are
THE OBAMA TEN on Parenting:
President Obama gives some tips for Parents and Parenting when YOUR child comes home from school:
1. Turn off radio/TV/Video games
2. Get some books/reading material in the home – parents must read; children must read
3. Buy a desk or clear a space on the kitchen table for the child to do homework
4. Help them do homework
5. If necessary call the teacher if you cannot help
6. Get them to bed at an appropriate time, after they have had dinner
7. Keep them off the streets when they do not have to be there
8. Get them breakfast before they leave for school or for them to have at school
9. When you are told that they have misbehaved – do not cuss out the teacher
10. DO SOMETHING TO HELP YOUR CHILD LEARN AND TO HELP YOU LEARN HOW TO PARENT – IN OTHER WORDS, SHOW THEM SOME LOVE
Read more on Muriella’s Corner For Parents and also see Bill Cosby’s Video on Meet the Press, 11 January.